Ever wondered how open minded, conscientious, and respectful you are? Take this quiz and find out! (BTW – these traits are so en vogue.)
- Someone asks you what a feminist is. You respond:
- Women who want equal pay
- Anyone who seeks social, political and economic equality of the sexes
- Girls who can’t get a date
- Women who want more power over men
- You are standing in line at the supermarket and you overhear two people talking about a woman in an extremely degrading manner. You:
- Stand in silence and shake your head in disgust – these people are so disrespectful!
- Chuckle to yourself; this girl sounds like a slut.
- Tell the people that the way they are speaking is wrong; no one deserves to be objectified like that.
- Gender roles are:
- Good for society; men need be leaders and women need to respect this and be led
- Understandable; men and women are inherently different
- Social constructs that unfairly categorize people
- Fabricated by feminists; gender roles don’t exist
- You are interviewing a female for prospective employment at your firm. The reason why you choose not to hire her is:
- She tells you she is considering starting a family in the future; you don’t want to deal with maternity leave!
- She is unfamiliar with the company’s software and there are other similar candidates who already possess this skill.
- She just comes off as emotional and irrational; she would probably cry at meetings if someone yelled.
- A male can be a feminist:
- If he is willing to recognize his privilege and work with females in a constructive manner
- In any circumstance; anyone can be a feminist if they want gender equality
- In certain situations, but they will never truly understand
- In an alternate universe; it’s called “feminist” for a reason
- Feminism today is:
- Admirable and necessary; patriarchy plagues all societies and hurts all genders politically, economically, and socially
- Just a battle; feminists are constantly having to defend themselves
- Pointless; feminism is irrelevant in the West today
- You are watching Sleeping Beauty with your younger cousin and she says “I want to be Aurora when I grow up”! You respond:
- How cute – you are just as beautiful as she is!
- You can be whatever you want; every girl should be able to choose who they want to be.
- But Aurora only aims to end up with a prince, don’t you want to be valued for more than just your beauty?
0-5 Points: Patriarchy Perpetuator
You are the person that makes me want to throw on some Boys II Men and cry. I hate to break it to you, but you are still living in the dark ages. Do you even think women should be able to vote? Unfortunately, for you and society, this is a big problem. I encourage you to take the time to read about the fundamentals of feminist theory and broaden your horizons. Yay for learning!
Work on the fundamentals: Women's Voices, Feminist Visions: Classic and Contemporary Readings by Susan Shaw and Janet Lee
6-10 Points: Common Creature
You are the ‘average joe’ of North America. You agree that women should gain equity; you are on board for things like equal pay and more female political representation. But beyond that the movement gets a little blurry and perhaps ‘too intense’. To further your feminist future, commit to doing a little research.
Engage with obstacles of the movement: The F Word: College Students' Definitions of a Feminist by Shannon Houvouras and J. Scott Carter
11-14 Points: Fabulous Feminist
You are the bomb. You support the feminist movement and recognize its importance in today’s society. You truly believe in gender equality and seek equal political, economic, and social opportunities for all people. Keep up the good work and make sure to spread the feminist word!
Delve deeper with current issues: Third-Wave Feminism and the Defense of "Choice" by R. Claire Snyder-Hall
1. a) 1 b) 2 c) 0 d) 0
2. a) 1 b) 0 c) 2
3. a) 0 b) 1 c) 2 d) 0
4. a) 0 b) 2 c) 0
5. a) 2 b) 2 c) 0 d) 0
6. a) 2 b) 1 c) 0
7. a) 0 b) 2 c) 2